Monday, June 10, 2013

Grains and Greens: Hominy and Rainbow Chard

(#13) Taste 25 Foods I've Never Tasted Before

Done!

1. Pattypan Squash
2. Beets
3. Eel
4.Wahoo
5.Lychee
6.Quinoa
7. Raw Oyster
8. Octopus
9. Duck
10. Daikon
11. Authentic French Food
12. Dragon Fruit
13. Bagel and Lox (/Smoked Salmon)
14. Astronaut Ice Cream
15. Big Mac
16. Steamed Burger
17. Cottage Cheese
18. Crawfish
19. Shrimp & Grits
20. Rice Pudding
21. Pimento Cheese
22. Pork Rinds
23. St. Germain
24. Hominy
25. Rainbow Chard

Finally this item is complete. I plan to continue this culinary adventure in my 26th year, perhaps on a smaller scale (there are only so many foods out there that I haven't tasted, right?)

I definitely recommend trying this to EVERYONE. It makes eating exciting again. Your palate and your bravery will surprise you more than you think possible. And you may just discover some new foods that you love enough to add to your weekly routine. For example, I've already had beets once this week and plan on having them again. And we always keep quinoa in the cabinet.

Hominy is one of those items I learned about while watching the Food Network. It is a corn product that is dried and then rehydrated in a process called nixtamalization which apparently makes it easier to make tortilla dough out of. Who knew?

The process also makes a grain of corn that is mushy and somewhat less desirable as far as eating is concerned. I threw some butter and cheese at it and hoped for the best.


It was edible. The corn taste was very diluted- I'd say it tasted more like pure starch, like a raw potato. The texture was more like a bean than corn.

Next we tried a vegetable we picked up at our beloved summer farmer's market. I love browsing through the local produce and picking out something that I've never had. Today it was rainbow chard.


Treat it like any other green- remove the stems and chop up the leaves. Saute them until they are just wilted in olive oil, maybe a little garlic. This time I included them in this scallop recipe I found on Pinterest.

The scallops were great. The chard not so much.

I didn't care for the intense bitterness that it had- like arugula. Nor did I care for the texture which was like spinach or like the very green end of the lettuce- only chewier. Of course I ate it because it is green and therefore a superfood. But I think in the future I will stick to kale.





2 comments:

  1. I love chard, both Swiss and rainbow. I actually just posted a blog about rainbow chard myself! Did you throw out the stems? I guess if you don't like the bitterness of the leaves you wouldn't like the stems, but I find that both the stems and leaves have this buttery richness to them when sauteed in olive oil. Adding garlic makes them even better. I added garam masala and maple syrup. It's spicy and sweet and really good over couscous. Where did you get this list of foods you never tried? It's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abby! Now that you mention it this was actually rainbow chard so I will update accordingly. I will check out your post and maybe give it another try! Yes I am very sensitive to bitterness...I think it's why I can't drink beer! I highly recommend trying a new foods list yourself. I love to cook too so I wanted to be familiar with more tastes. It makes eating very exciting!

    ReplyDelete