Tuesday, January 22, 2013

You Can Take the Red off of a Radish, But I Still Won't Like It

(#13) Taste 25 Foods I've Never Tasted Before


1. Pattypan Squash
2. Beets
3. Eel
4.Wahoo
5.Lychee
6.Quinoa
7. Raw Oyster
8. Octopus
9. Duck

10. Daikon

Realizing that I am very far behind on tasting 25 new foods this year (before May 22) caused a minor panic, especially because we have committed to going vegan for the month of January. More on that later.

Anyway, there was only one place to turn- the produce section.

Luckily there were several odd-looking vegetable choices to choose from. I'll probably be back there later this week. The one I chose for this entry was daikon.

Daikon is a kind of radish, sometimes known as a white radish. It is used a lot in Asian cooking and looks sort of like a white carrot.


Ronnie and I only recently discovered that we hate radishes, so I came into this challenge with a bit of skepticism (as I often do, to be honest). But daikon is one of those things I constantly see chefs using on cooking shows, so I wanted to give it a try.

After I had purchased the daikon I read an article about how to cook them which mentioned that they should be firm and not rubbery. Woops. Mine was definitely a little rubbery.



I chose to cut it into strips and throw it into a stir-fry (since it is an Asian vegetable after all). I cut it thick enough so that we could still taste it. But not too thick, because I could already smell that peppery radish smell that I hate as I was slicing it.



I added it to the pan with some raw broccoli and about a half-inch of water to steam it before actually frying it. Then I added some soy sauce, teriyaki, and sriracha, and fried it up with some tofu and some other vegetables.



As you can see in the picture they kind of went limp upon cooking. Maybe I cooked them too long, who knows. But they absorbed the flavor of the sauce pretty well and didn't have much flavor on their own. Kind of like a softer water chestnut.

There are two possible conclusions to draw from this experiment: 1) That cooking radishes gets rid of their bitter, peppery taste or 2) That the bitter, peppery flavor comes from the red skin of the radish.

Or, a third option: there are plenty of other vegetables out there and I probably won't be eating radishes in any form very often.

Lets go with that one.




No comments:

Post a Comment