Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wahoooooo

(#13) Taste 25 Foods I've Never Tasted Before
  1. Pattypan squash
  2. Beets
  3. Eel
  4. Wahoo
Today I tried wahoo. It's a kind of fish.

This one was kind of happenstance. Ronnie had a meeting at 6 and decided to pick up Baja Fresh on the way home. We had a coupon for Baja Fresh and wahoo tacos were the new thing they were advertising. So all the stars aligned to add a new food to my repertoire today.



As you can probably tell from the picture, it was a meaty white fish. Most similar to mahi mahi I'd say, in texture and taste.

I'd heard of wahoo before, as have most Virginia residents, due to its status as the unofficial mascot of UVA. So I was excited to try it, thinking that this association had to mean that the wahoo was a relatively local fish. So I was disappointed when Wikipedia informed me that its a tropical fish, most common in the Carribean and Hawaii.

I was also disappointed to discover that it looks like this:


So hideous. Apparently it is a member of the scrombrid family. Appetizing. The tacos were good though.
I plan on cooking something delicious this weekend. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment