Monday, July 9, 2012

A "Grain" of Sand

(#13) Taste 25 Foods I've Never Tasted Before

        1. Pattypan Squash
        2. Beets
        3. Eel
        4.Wahoo
        5.Lychee
        6.Quinoa


The next food on my list to try was quinoa. Quinoa is a grain similar in size and shape to couscous, but with a meatier texture like whole grain rice. I learned about it watching the Food Network; like the rest of us, chefs get tired of using the same old rice, pasta, potato starch rotation, so this is a good way to mix it up.

What struck me most about quinoa was that it reminded me of that “magic sand” stuff you see advertised on TV. The package recommended rinsing before cooking (which by the way you need one of those super-fine metal strainers to do) so I did, and was surprised by how it reacted to the water. It turned into a moldable pile of seemingly dry...sand, like I said.

The texture in your mouth after cooking was also surprising. The grains are very small but quinoa retains its texture after cooking much more than rice or pasta, so you can actually distinguish all the tiny quinoas as you are eating them.

It’s not as terrible as it sounds, I promise. But it is distinct from anything I’ve tried before.

I’d recommend trying it! It has more protein than most other grains, a ton of fiber, and reportedly a lot of other health benefits (though who can trust the health fads these days!). Plus it is a great way to get yourself out of a grain rut.

Also, I know I'm super behind on  my book list...a book review is next I swear!

No comments:

Post a Comment