Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A D-eel-icious Dinner

(#13) Taste 25 Foods I've Never Tasted Before
  1. Pattypan Squash
  2. Beets
  3. Eel
Today I tried eel! We went out for dinner to a local Asian restaurant that makes a whole variety of fresh sushi, and so many people rave about eel that I had to try it. We tried an eel "futomaki" roll with egg and some other Asian-type vegetables.

Unfortunately I was so nervous about trying it that I forgot to take a picture. You'll have to take my word on it that I tried it. 

After all the hype it pretty much tasted like any other sushi roll. Ronnie was brave enough to try a piece of eel on its own and he said it was pretty tender with a very mild flavor. It wasn't fishy or chewy like we imagined (for whatever reason that we had that idea in our heads). It was in thin slices, almost like onion. 

All in all I'm glad I tried it just to prove to myself that things are not as intimidating as I make them out to be.

Speaking of intimidating...if there is literally anyone out there in the world who has not yet tried sushi (Mom!), just do it. Its delicious and its not at all what you are imagining it to be.

Just stick to the rolls, and watch out for the word "sashimi"!



No comments:

Post a Comment