Monday, May 28, 2012

Why Dwight Schrute Was Right About Beets

(#13) Taste 25 Foods I've Never Tasted Before


1. Pattypan Squash
2. Beets

Today we tried beets. And I am so glad we did! We always try to eat healthy but sometimes we get vegetable fatigue and wind up going with french fries instead. But I think we'll definitely add beets to our side dish rotation.

Call me crazy, but I swear the taste reminded me of corn on the cob. Ronnie will back me up on this. It was sweet and a little buttery. I don't know what I was expecting, but certainly not that. 

The texture was also really pleasant. Smooth, but firm. 

Here's how I cooked them.


Roasted Beet Salad

Beets
Blue Cheese
Chopped Walnuts
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar
  1. Cut off the tops of the beets and drizzle them with olive oil. Roast them skin-on in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, until tender.
  2. Let them cool, then peel the skin off. 
  3. Slice off the tops and the root, then slice the beets into about half-inch slices.
  4. Top with a handful of blue cheese and a handful of walnuts. Drizzle with red wine vinegar and a little more olive oil, to taste.
I hope you'll give them a try. Schrute Farms will thank you.

By the way, check back tomorrow for news on my first day at my new job!

No comments:

Post a Comment