Monday, April 8, 2013

Two New Foods That Can Only Vaguely Be Called Food

(#13) Taste 25 Foods I've Never Tasted Before

1. Pattypan Squash
2. Beets
3. Eel
4.Wahoo
5.Lychee
6.Quinoa
7. Raw Oyster
8. Octopus
9. Duck
10. Daikon
11. Authentic French Food
12. Dragon Fruit
13. Bagel and Lox (/Smoked Salmon)
14. Astronaut Ice Cream
15. Big Mac

Astronaut ice cream and the McDonald's Big Mac. Two foods that would not exist without the marvels of space-age technology, and that could not survive in nature without extensive chemical preservation. Yum!

When Ronnie and I visited the Air and Space Museum in Dulles last weekend, I remembered a fun fact that I had once learned about my fiancé- that he actually loves astronaut ice cream. Which led me to another realization- I had never tried it. What a serendipitous opportunity to add to my new foods list.



I assumed this freeze drying process involved liquid nitrogen and other things humans should not ingest, but I was delighted to find out that it just involved really cold freezers.


Sure, there are some ingredients that I could not pronounce, but much fewer than I expected. Also the first three ingredients were milk, sugar, and corn syrup. Real Earth food!


It was sort of bizarre that it looked and tasted exactly like ice cream and yet wasn't cold. It was hard for my taste buds to process.


Of course upon closer inspection you can distinguish the chalky texture of the "ice cream." I would highly recommended letting it melt in your mouth rather than chewing.

It did have a nice sweet flavor, though. More concentrated than regular ice cream. I can see why a grade school-aged boy would have enjoyed it.

Next, the Big Mac. Thankfully I did not eat these two things on the same day.


As you can see there is a slight difference between this real-life Big Mac and the one you see in the commercials.

I would have taken a few more pictures, but with fast food of any kind it is pretty much a race to eat it before it cools. Cold fast food is even less recognizable as food than the hot variety.

I have never had a Big Mac and have not had a burger from McDonald's for probably ten years (though admittedly I have had their chicken strips much more recently) and yet all McDonalds' burgers have that distinct taste to them. You know the one I'm talking about.

I'll admit as a carb fiend I did love having that extra bun in there. It added a nice thickness to the burger without having to have too much beef. I am also a sucker for good old-fashioned American pasteurized cheese product so that was a nice treat.

I probably wouldn't order it again, but it was nice to join the club. I'm not crazy about thousand island dressing which is apparently what the "special sauce" tastes like, so that aspect didn't do it for me. Also, its a burger from McDonald's. So...slightly questionable, to say the least.
 
And of course the highlight of this particular meal was the world famous and fabulously salty French fries. Which also only vaguely resemble their natural state. But you can't argue with delicious.











2 comments:

  1. Have you ever had Dippin Dots? Those are also frozen very quickly in very very cold freezers. I LOVE those. It's hard for me to go see a movie without buying Dippin Dots at the theater... They are almost too cold, just warm enough to not burn your tongue. But they melt in your mouth and have a chewiness that is unlike any other ice cream. Gotta try em! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had them and they are delicious! Much better than this astronaut ice-cream which was not cold at all, and not as creamy.

    ReplyDelete