Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Some Like it Hot- and By Hot They Mean Naked

(#17) Watch 25 Classic Movies

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2. A Streetcar Named Desire
3. It's a Wonderful Life
4. Some Like it Hot

Ronnie and I watched this movie a few weeks ago but, in addition to being busy planning the engagement party, I haven't reviewed it because I have been really mulling over how I feel about Marilyn Monroe.

Part of me really wants to love her. Why? I'm not sure. I guess just because most people love her. She is applauded for being an a-typical representation of beauty (being a size 14), but that is just a function of the time she lived in, when it was not considered beautiful to be stick-thin. She wasn't really doing it to make a statement.

After watching Some Like it Hot I was even more intrigued by why so many people love her. Because honestly I've seen better acting. And better singing. And as a matter of fact I've seen more beautiful women. She was dressed kind of sluttily, was that the reason?

And we wonder why men find her attractive...
I finally got some more insight a few days ago after watching My Week with Marilyn. It was an enjoyable if somewhat forgettable movie, with Michelle Williams doing a great job as Marilyn. It helped explain the hype that she caused everywhere she went, probably perpetuated by her famous lovers and later by her tragic death. It also helped me see her through others' eyes. There was just an indefinable quality that made everyone love her- the way she "lit up the screen," as some said.

Michelle vs Marilyn. Not bad.

It also gave me hope for something that would make me respect Marilyn more- that deep down she was still just Norma Jeane, playing the part of a famous actress in her everyday life. She spoke softly because men found that appealing. She pretended to need someone by her side, to not really know what she was doing, so that people would always be rushing to help her. She played the dumb blonde because that was what people wanted from women at the time. In a way, that makes her more likable to me as a role model. She knew what she had to do to get ahead, and she did it. And she had everyone pretty much fooled.

The jury is still out on how I feel about her. But, on to the movie.

Some Like it Hot was one of those movies I expected not to enjoy, because I thought the humor would be totally lost on me. I was pleasantly surprised. Not North by Northwest surprised (seriously that movie has some of the funniest movie moments of all time) but I did enjoy it.

It is easy to forget that the jokes that now seem cliche were actually being done on film for the first time during this era. The cross-dressing, the classic chase scene,  the coincidentally winding up two feet away from the gangsters you fled the state to avoid...etc. These are moments that have since been imitated but at the time were still fresh. So you have to give the film-appreciators nod to them for that.

It was named the greatest American comedy of all time by AFI. They're the experts, so I'll take their word for it. I will say that it was funnier than I expected. I'm not big on comedies as it is. Give me a good tearjerker any day.

So there it is...my first Marilyn Monroe movie experience. Several more of her movies could be considered classics... maybe I'll watch another one before the year is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment