Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bridges, Stamps, and a Flux Capacitor

(#17) Watch 25 Classic Movies

19. The Bridges of Madison County
20. Charade
21. Back to the Future


I know it might be stretching it a bit to call The Bridges of Madison County a “classic” movie. It is certainly more in the realm of pop culture than groundbreaking filmmaking. But Meryl Streep has to count for something, right?

Also, since the demise of Blockbuster, it is increasingly difficult to get your hands on old movies. So I was limited in my choices.
Anyway, I enjoyed this movie about as much as expected. Clint Eastwood was already looking crazy in 1995 and was somewhat difficult to swallow as someone’s romantic interest. Meryl was kind of fabulous though. I think I kind of missed her heyday but the more I see of her the more I understand why she is so celebrated.
The storyline with the brother and sister characters seemed a little out of place. Or maybe it was just the acting of those two was distractingly bad.
Since this movie is all about photography I was kind of hoping to get to see some of the photos at the end. But, spoiler alert, we don’t. Also I found it funny that in 1995 people were still putting their film in the fridge- that is not even something I really remember doing. Such a little thing can date a movie and you never know what that little thing is going to be!


Charade is I believe my second Audrey Hepburn movie, the first being Breakfast at Tiffany’s. And of course Cary Grant stars in two of my all-time favorite movies, North by Northwest and An Affair to Remember. So I was fairly confident I would enjoy this one.

Audrey Hepburn’s character Reggie was enjoyable to watch. She was a bit quirky for a classic heroine, always eating and making sarcastic observations- obviously I related to her well. She does somewhat play the “need to be rescued” female, but I thought for the 1960s she was also relatively competent and retained her composure throughout. Also, before her husband is murdered she has already decided to divorce him, which (for the time) shows her independent spirit.

This movie also made me realize that the quality of dialogue in movies has really fallen off. I love the repartee between Reggie and Peter/Alex/Adam/Brian. But you also really have to pay attention to catch jokes like “She batted them pretty little eyes at you, and you fell for it like an egg from a tall chicken!” Nowadays movies are made so that you can watch them while simultaneously tweeting about them, which leaves only a thin margin of your attention available.

Of course as a modern-day movie watcher, paying this close attention to movies has now made me intellectually exhausted.

Back to the Future was a nice break for my tired brain.
I love the 80s. I love the clothing, the music, the attitude, and the grossly inaccurate predictions about what the 2010s would be like. I love Marty McFly's general attitude and what a name! McFly.
I tend to get confused by time travel but this one kept it fairly straight-forward. My favorite moment was when Marty says If only I had more time! and then realizes wait I have a time machine, I have all the time in the world.
And it is the ultimate awkward situation when Marty's mom starts putting the moves on him. Seriously what could be worse, and it is executed perfectly.
Also as you all probably know, it is only two years until we reach the future date that Doc travels to at the end. So only two years for us to develop hovercars that run on banana peels and start wearing sweet silver glasses like these:


I hope the scientists are working on it. If not they better invent a time machine so that they can travel back in time and invent hovercars sooner.



No comments:

Post a Comment