Thursday, December 27, 2012

No Man Is a Failure Who Has Friends

(#17) Watch 25 Classic Movies

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2. A Streetcar Named Desire
3. It's a Wonderful Life


Let me use this opportunity to dispel a rumor about myself. I have been unfairly classified as a "Scrooge" or a "Grinch" for one reason- I don't like Christmas music. It's more the incessant over playing starting in November that I don't like. But I actually love everything else about Christmas. Especially Christmas movies.

My adoration of Christmas movies began last year when I watched Miracle on 34th Street for the first time. There was just something about that movie- the idea that Santa could be real and just a regular guy, that miracles could happen if you just believe...it gets me teared up just thinking about it. And Ronnie got a special Christmas memory of his own when they brought all of those letters addressed to Santa into the court room and I literally went crazy with excitement. I believe I said something like "OMG the post office saved Christmas!!!!!!"


It's a Wonderful Life has the disadvantage of coming after Miracle and therefore being ruthlessly compared to it. And while it didn't quite measure up, it did have some of those joyful moments that you're never too old to appreciate.

Enter George Bailey, the man who can lasso the moon.


The man who always puts others' dreams before his own- his brother, his wife, his town. He's even willing to give up his life just so his family can continue to live comfortably. George is a good guy who just doesn't get any justice in the cruel world- until the angels step in.

Clarence the Angel (Second Class) takes a special interest in George's situation- divine intervention you might say- because all of George's friends pray for him. Because George has so many friends, from all those years of putting other people first. The angel keeps him from killing himself but it is the town who comes together to save George from financial ruin (which was not even slightly his fault). 

I was definitely swept up in the magic of George's situation, but I do have to say that there were some serious plot holes in the story. For example- when did George's friends have time to pray for him? They didn't even know anything was wrong until the very end. What happens to the evil Mr. Potter? He still has that $8,000. And most importantly- just because you replace money after you embezzle it doesn't mean you don't still go to jail for embezzlement. I seriously doubt bank auditors would be that caught up in the joy of the moment. 

Regardless of those issues, and of the ponderous length of this film, I really loved it. Movies like this one are great because of the shared memories that they give us, when we watch them and when we watch others enjoy them for the first time. Here's hoping the next 22 movies on my list are just as special!






No comments:

Post a Comment