Thursday, June 7, 2012

To the High School Grad: a 25 Year Old's Perspective

So my brother is graduating high school tomorrow, and since I am in the mood for self-reflection I thought I could share some of that introspective knowledge with him and the rest of the class of 2012. I'm sure many people who have already graduated high school and beyond will feel the same way I feel- if I had known then what I know now, I might have done a few things differently. So here's what I know. 
The grad and I, about 18 years ago
It may seem like your life is "finally starting." It's not. Your life is made up of all of the moments that you thought weren't important, and moments that are truly important usually blow right on by without you even noticing. Yes it will be a big change. But if you keep waiting for your life to "start" it never will. So just enjoy what you have, while you have it. 

However, it is true that the decisions you make now will shape the rest of your life going forward. Here's what I would do, if I could do it over: picture yourself at my age, 25. What do you want 25 to look like for you? What do you want to be doing for a living? Where do you want to be doing it? Who do you want to be doing it with (no pun intended)? 

Now, here's the secret: work backwards. What do you need to do now to make everything that you want happen? What do you need to major in? What kind of internships do you need to get? What kind of extracurriculars do you need to do? Once you figure that out, all you have to do is work your butt off and get it done.


I don't really believe in regrets, so I won't say I wish I could go back. I'm happy with where I am now, and I've come so far from where I was when I was 18. Life's about the journey. But I see people who are younger than me farther along in their careers than I am and I know why. Because they knew what they wanted when they started college, and they went for it. For me, it just took a little longer. I'm hoping you can get the benefits of my hindsight.  


I don't know everything, of course, but I know what the job market is like right now. I graduated college when it was near its worst, and finding a new job this spring was no picnic either. So you have to make yourself stand out. And the only way to do that is to have the focus and the passion to do whatever it takes to achieve your dreams. Because you can achieve them. It just may not be easy as you always thought.


Oh, and I guess, have some fun along the way too. 


If you're older than 25, you may think I'm still naive and that I need advice of my own. You're right. So speak up, I'm listening!

1 comment:

  1. My advice to high school grads is to start drinking heavily.

    ReplyDelete