Sunday, June 24, 2012

Next Stop: Master Chef

(#10) Master 25 New Recipes
  1. Stuffed Peppers
  2. Risotto
For those of you who aren't obsessed with cooking shows like I am, risotto is one of those things that make even the most experienced chefs quake in their boots. It is something that every chef has their own way of doing and that they all spend years mastering. It is also something that is so delicious and craveable that it was worth taking a stab at. So I went for it.

I wouldn't say I have it "mastered," by any stretch. But the rice was cooked and the consistency turned out creamy but firm, as it is supposed to. So I'm pretty happy with the results.

As is my usual modus operandi, I read a few recipes to get an idea of what to do, and then improvised using ingredients I knew Ronnie and I would enjoy. So here's what I did:


Mushroom Risotto
Ingredients:

1/2 cup shallots, finely diced 
(These are onions but you will usually find them by the garlic in the grocery store. They are much more mild and sweeter than regular onions, so I highly recommend trying them!)
1 1/2 cups of arborio rice 
(You cannot use regular rice! Arborio is recommended and I think there are a few others you can use.)
6 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian)
3/4 cup white wine
1 container mushrooms, roughly chopped
5 tablespoons butter
Parmesan cheese to taste

Put the chicken stock in a pot and turn the heat on medium. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to low. Do the next step while this is working.

Briefly cook the mushrooms in a small pan. They will cook a little more with the rice. Turn the heat off and reserve.

Add 3 tablespoons butter to a large skillet/pan and melt on low-medium heat. Add the shallots and "sweat" (not carmelizing) for about 5 minutes until they are soft but not brown. Add the rice and cook, stirring continuously, until the rice is translucent but not brown. Deglaze with the white wine and cook, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed. You have to stir or the rice will stick to the pan.

Add one cup of heated chicken stock to the pan and continue to stir until liquid is absorbed, about five minutes. Once the liquid is absorbed (or nearly absorbed- you will see more "liquid" forming as the rice releases its starches), add another cup of chicken stock and repeat the process.

It should take about 25 minutes for the rice to be completely cooked. For me I think it took a little longer. Just keep checking as you go. It should retain a slight bite in the center, like a nice al dente pasta. The consistency should be fairly fluid, so that it would spread out on a plate, but not liquid. (I think mine actually turned out a little too firm, so don't judge by my picture!)

If you use up all of your chicken stock, start using warm water until the rice is cooked. I also added a little more wine towards the end. If you don't need all of your chicken stock, no big deal either. Just stop cooking when the rice is done and most of the liquid is absorbed.

When you feel it is done, add your mushrooms, the other 2 tablespoons of butter, and parm cheese to taste. Stir until butter is melted and mushrooms are heated.

Serve immediately. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment