Saturday, July 21, 2012

Guilt-Free Pizza- Too Good to Be True?


This doesn't really qualify as a list item but I wanted to share it with you all anyway. You know how much I love talking about food!

This recipe went viral on Pinterest. (And I want to point out that despite Pinterest's reputation, I actually do make a lot of the recipes that I pin!)

http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/2011/04/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
The idea is to make pizza crust out of smashed cauliflower, without using any flour at all. Sounds too good to be true, right? So of course we had to give it a try and find out.

Basically you grind up the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles grain, like this:


Then you cook it, mix it with egg and mozzarella, and spread it out on a sheet pan to bake. Then you add sauce and toppings of your choice and put it back in the oven to broil, so it looks like this: 


Obviously mine doesn't look quite like the picture but you get the idea.

The verdict? 

I'd say it wasn't quite a success, but I would consider trying it again with a few tweaks to the recipe above. First, I would at LEAST double the recipe. As you can see, it makes a tiny pizza. It was enough for Ronnie and I to eat with a salad, but the issue is that it is a lot of work for such a small result. Make a pizza-sized pizza for a party or family dinner, and then maybe the chopping and pureeing and all the other steps will be worth it.

Second, I would cut the amount of egg. One egg to one cup of cauliflower was a lot, and the texture of the "dough" came out very eggy and spongy, almost like a crepe. It stayed together very well, and I think it still would with half the egg (or the same amount of egg with double the cauliflower).

All in all its an idea with potential, with some tweaks and trial and error. Though if you think it will satisfy you if you really have a craving for pizza, you're fooling yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment