Saturday, December 15, 2012

Lentil Soup- It Tastes Much Better than It Looks

(#10) Master 25 New Recipes

1. Stuffed Peppers
2. Risotto
3. Polenta
4. Beef Brisket
5. French Onion Soup
6. Chocolate Chip Cookies
7. Lentil Soup

This recipe is largely based on one I got from my future father-in-law (that's fun to say!) and is one that Ronnie has been begging me to make for years. I've made lentil soup before but the recipe I used called for a lot of spinach which ruined it for me. This one was much simpler and much more tasty.

Ingredients:

1 lb lentils washed and sorted (take out any black lentils or anything else that doesn't belong)
1 onion diced
4 carrots diced
4 small or two medium potatoes diced
4 slices bacon diced
2 quarts chicken broth or vegetable broth
olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Heat the olive oil and add the onions and carrots to the pan. After a few minutes of cooking, make a clear spot in the pan and add the bacon. (I had an issue here timing the bacon. Of course it cooks quicker than carrots or onions, but I did not leave it enough time to get crispy. If it doesn't get cripsy before you put the liquid in you can wind up with an unpleasant texture.)
2. Cook until the onions are clear and the carrots are starting to get soft.
3. Add the lentils and toss in the bacon and oily goodness until the lentils are slightly toasted- about two minutes. Stir frequently.
4. Add the stock and the potatoes.
5. Simmer for about an hour.

In the beginning it will look like this:


Here's a closeup of the lentils:


Notice the greenish-gray color of the broth. Don't be alarmed. This is how it is supposed to look.

After about an hour it will look like this. Then you will know it is ready:



You may also notice the unappetizing film that the broth leaves around the edge of the pot. This is also normal. I don't know what it is about lentils but they are very aggressive in their earthy color and texture.

Personally while I liked this soup more than I expected to, it wasn't my favorite. It has a very starchy bean flavor. In my opinion it just doesn't compare to say, my French onion soup.  Ronnie, however, seemed to like it. Just a little.





No comments:

Post a Comment