Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Harissa: Spicy Doesn't Begin to Describe It

One good thing about blogging about your experiences is that you get all your readers on your team. Friends have recommended movies or let me borrow books, helped me make pasta, or even just encouraged me and told me how I've encouraged them.

In this case, a friend brought a new food for me to try, all the way from Tunisia.

Try 26 New Foods:

1. Bison
2. Ethiopian Food
3. Oysters Rockefeller
4. Shark
5. Escargot
6. Frog legs
7. Chicken and Waffles
8. Hemp Vodka
9. Uni 
10. Beef Tongue
11. Amaranth
12. Bibimbap
13. Kimchi
14. Harissa



I had never heard of harissa until Chris brought us a can. Even though I figured it was a regional thing to the Middle East/North Africa, I was surprised to learn that it was specific to Tunisia. Harissa is a Tunisian chili paste made from roasted red peppers, hot peppers, and spices. Much  like a good marinara sauce, the recipes vary, but generally include garlic, coriander, cumin, and olive oil.

Ours came in a can and looked a lot like tomato paste.

 

A quick Google search directed me to this recipe- obviously highly exotic since it gives temperatures in Celsius.

The basic idea was just to rub a little harissa and oil on some chicken breasts, and roast them up with some tomatoes and olives.


The recipe turned out delicious, though the harissa was a bit more spicy than I expected. Luckily I served it with some non-spicy roasted potatoes. Next time, I'd probably use a thinner layer of harissa on the chicken.

The beautiful thing about trying new foods is that there really are things out there that you haven't tasted. That you can't even imagine the taste of. This was one of those things.

It was spicy, yes. It did have a sweet red pepper/tomato taste. It was smoky, likely from the cumin. But there was definitely an indescribable element to it, a depth that was surprising and delightful. I have definitely never tasted anything quite like it and I am excited for the chance to taste it again.

I'm pretty sure we can find it somewhere closer than Tunisia.

Update: Harissa has since been popularized by the fast-casual dining establishment Cava Mezze Grill. I highly recommend trying the restaurant, even if their harissa may be too spicy for you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment